Friday, June 26, 2009

Shopping for... a helmet?

This is probably a total "you had to be there" thing, but its something I want to remember forever, so I thought I'd write about it here. :)

Today, Nate, Lizzie, and I went out and had a fantastic lunch together, and on the way home, passed by a cycle shop. We were almost home when Nate thought we should turn around and take a look at this shop since I am in the market for a new bike.

So we turned around and went the mile and a half back to the cycle shop. He said he is going to run in to make sure its worth getting Lizzie out of the car and lugging her in. Several minutes later, he gets in the car looking all sheepish and tells me to drive.

What happened inside is this:

Nate poked his head inside the door and saw that the cycle shop was in fact a motorcycle shop, and not at all a bicycle shop. As he is shutting the door, the salesman asks, "What are you looking for today?"

Nate, so as to not look like a complete fool by simply saying, "Just didn't know if this was a motorcycle or bicycle shop," and then quickly leaving, stepped in, looked around, and said, "Uh... helmets."

So the salesman goes over all of the helmets with him, telling him which ones had blue tooth capabilities, which ones had two speakers as opposed to one, etc. (by the way, helmets have blue tooth and speakers??) Then he asked, "Is this for a dirt bike or a road bike?"

Nate: "... Road."

Salesman: "What are you riding?"

So at this point, I thought Nate should have just said, "A motorcycle." I think that would have been hilarious. But since Nate wasn't sure of any actual names of any motorcycles, he said, "Um..nothing yet."

After the salesman talks a little more about the helmets, probably wondering why the heck someone would shop for helmets before actually owning a motorcycle, Nate said, "Well, my wife is in the car, I better get going! Its nice to know you guys are here!"

As I am driving away from the motorcycle store, he is telling me this story, and I am literally crying and shaking from laughing so hard and considering pulling over. I asked him if he was going to buy a pretty helmet first so he could get a motorcycle to match.

So, needless to say, bicycle shopping today was a big FAIL!

No comments: